Sunday, August 26, 2012

180 Degrees Whopper

My life has taken a 180 degrees turn,  my husband of eleven years died this May; my world came crashing down. We have two sparkling gems; a preteen daughter and an eight year son. Now handling widowhood and being a single parent at the same time is a fusion of two different lives.  Let me give a little back ground of the life before his death. 

Well, our marriage itself was a fusion of two different worlds; me being born and brought up in the Middle East,him in Pakistan. Life threw us together and this started a journey of new realizations and adjustments. During the eleven year period, we lived in three different countries, mainly Middle east.  

His death has brought me and my children to live in Pakistan, to live with his parents ,as he was an only child and I felt it heartless to leave them alone here. Now them not wanting to leave this place for better pastures with us is another story. Hope is always there. 

Well, back to the present, kids are so confused, heart broken and well, not wanting to live here. My job : handle my own grief, handle my kids grief, make the three of us adjust to a life soooo different from what we are used to.  Plus, the added pleasure (sarcasm) of taking in every sympathetic relative's "well-meant" advice about how I should be leading my life, how the kids can best be taken care of, specially how each of their recommended school is " The Best" (I wonder if they get commission for that!).  

The irony of how my husband's uncles and aunts and cousins visiting or calling ,with full cry-outs infront of me and me , his life partner, comforting them that how Allah knows best, sometimes makes me wonder, does it look like I don't have a heart; must be so. Everyone knows the parents' grief, the kids' grief, where's the wife? I didn't mention that my husband had been sick on and off the last two years after he met with an accident. His condition got worse three months before his death, though he had started the road to recovery, the doctor being very optimistic, nobody can avoid the unavoidable; his death was a complete surprise. I mentioned this because we had gone through that trauma too before his death;me and the kids were there alone with him in a new country where we had moved just a few months back.  

Riding the emotional roller coaster, you are rubbed in by the frequent mention of the fact how such a huge responsibility has come upon your shoulders,bringing up the kids alone and all, hellloooo........I know that, they are my kids, I'll of course bear their responsibility.....wow. Then again,occasionally I'm told to take exceptional care of my son because being the son he is supposed to be the image of his father. The question is what crime has my daughter done? Why not the same advice with reference to her? I thought daughters were more the mirrors of their dads;at least I am. Why the discrimination? Both the kids are our jewels, May Allah always bless them. 

Another surprising fact (the list is never-ending) is it seems I'm not supposed to remember that I have a family back in the middle east, who is as anxious about our future. The again "excellent " advice is that focus on living here with the in-laws, don't make emotional decisions like visiting your family back home often! What surprises me is the fact that not one of the "qualified" advisors have, by the Grace of Allah, gone through what I'm going through, all the advising faculty(the aunties and uncles) have their family intact( may it always be like that for them).  

I really feel great after writing this (upon the advise of my excellent sister). I suppose I'll take it a day at a time, handling the kids and my own self along with the trials and tribulations of a new life, in a new country, with new people . We three will be a team!  

Thanks for taking the time to read, I really appreciate it. 
Take Care!


                           post signature

6 comments:

  1. Salaams sis,
    First comment :) wish you great luck with the blog. This piece is SO heartfelt! May the Almighty accept your intentions and ease this difficult time for you - Ameen.
    Favourite - most practical line - "Hope is always there!" .. Alhamdulilah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walaikum Assalam Sis,

      Thanks a lot for your wonderful Dua , May Allah (SWT) accept it ....Ameen.
      Yeah, hope is what sustains us, Allah SWT is KAREEM.

      A request for remembrance in future duas.

      Take Care!

      Delete
  2. As salaamu alaykum wa Rahmat Allah wa Barakatuh.

    Subhaan Allah, we never know how Allah will test us and where those tests will lead. However, we must always know that those tests will, if we are true believers, improve us and bring us to a better place and closeness to Allah.

    I can appreciate the enormity of the cultural differences the move and change of country/environment have brought about. Allahu musta'an! I will say that Allah is truly with the patient, and it has only been a short time since your husband's death. I pray Allah grants him mercy, forgiveness, a spacious grave, and admission to His Jennat-al-firdaus - ameen. Sometimes we simply have to do our best, seek Allah's help and guidance, and wait for things to evolve. So many situations turn from sad looking saplings to beautiful, strong, productive trees with patience and proper care.

    Take time each day to sit with your children and look around you; thank Allah for all the blessings and seek out all the good. Positivity and gratefulness bring about blessings upon blessings. My dua' are with you sister...and never despair of Allah's soothing Mercy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walaikum Assalam Sister.

      Thanks is a small word for the effort you put in writing such comprehensively to me. It means a lot when someone takes the pains to read your blog and then reply in such detail, I really appreciate your kind words, specially the dua you gave to my late husband. May ALLAH SWT best reward you for this.....Ameen. I beleive in ALLAH's mercy, He know what is best for his servants; Alhamdullillah ALLAH has given me two beautiful kids and they are the reasons I am looking forward to the journey ahead .......A request for remembrance in future prayers.....Take Care!

      Delete
  3. So sorry for your loss. I cannot even imagine what you and your children must be feeling. I have a close friend who also lost her husband a few months back and it is tremendously heartbreaking. I hope and pray Allah eases your burden, grants you peace and reunites you with your beloved husband in Jannah.

    You can read about my friend's loss here: http://khanclan.wordpress.com/

    Take care. And please don't let other's insensitive comments bring you down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salam Hijabi Mommy,

      Thanks a lot for writing, I really appreciate it, your duas specially. I'm sorry about your friend,I know firsthand what she must be going through.Hopefully she has children because they are the reasons I make myself move, even get out of bed for that matter. The hole will always be there, the craving to have him back is sometimes unbearable;ALLAH SWT knows best...... people may not have mercy but ALLAH is the most MERCIFUL.

      A request for remembrance in future duas........Take Care!

      Delete